Monday 24 September 2012

365 Days of Makeup


I came across this video a while back and though I don't know how the creators intended it to be interpreted I feel that it has a really good message.

Some observations as I watch it...


  1. Ok, some foundation, lipgloss, eyeshadow, blush... doesn't seem like too much.
  2. Starting to look a bit cakey.
  3. Yuck, the foundation is dripping, how can we cover ourselves in so much of this stuff each day? 
  4. How is the model breathing? She looks like an iced cake. 
  5. Wow, talk about repeated exposure to this stuff every day, and this is excluding the other products many women use each day- like fragrances, primers, concealers, mascara, hairspray, and powder. 
Challenge:

When you get ready tomorrow, take a moment to write down the products you use on a daily basis. On one half or a small area of your face (to minimize product waste) apply a full 7 days of makeup. Now imagine a full year of makeup... 

Some final thoughts:

Our skin is the largest organ in our body. Even though it may not seem like much when we get ready each morning, our exposure to the chemicals in cosmetics adds up over a month, a year, several years, a lifetime. Personally, this video makes me want to make my beauty routine as natural as I can, for both my health and the environment. 

3 comments:

  1. That was unexpected, and a little bit gross. However, it does make you think. Have you ever seen the Dove Evolution commercial? This reminds me of it, although the statement in the Dove commercial is more about the media's extreme distortion of beauty. If you haven't seen it, it's here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hibyAJOSW8U

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That was eye opening. Time to challenge my sister to this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I could think as I was watching this was polly-filler!!!

    ReplyDelete